Date:April 8th, 2022
08:00 am-12:00 pm
Attendees: Leaders/Faculty from DUT
Expected Outcomes: The workshop has been designed to assist faculty in effective and efficient online instruction by identifying skills we need to impart to our students. While many workshops focus on teacher skills, this workshop explores best practices we can teach our students to use that reduce common barriers to academic success in an online environment. Not every barrier to academic success can be reduced by the instructor, so this 4-hour course provides eight tangible, practical student-centered skills that are designed to allow faculty to set higher academic standards for their online students. By exploring these skills with students, instructors expand the possibility for a more robust, accessible academic learning environment. The skills presented range from personal decision-making to technology awareness to creative motivation.
The structure of this course includes an engaging PowerPoint presentation with opportunities to engage with the instructor via virtual engagement. This is followed by several short, target specific breakout sessions designed to allow participants to learn from each other.
Faculty participating in this training should expect to be able to perform the following skills effectively and efficiently:
- Recount the issues they have experienced in their recent online environment to provide a context in which these skills can be evaluated and applied
- Identify potential student-barriers barriers to academic success in an online environment
- Differentiate barriers to academic success that can be reduced through teacher intervention
- Explore which skills are relevant to their personal teaching context
- Begin to develop and articulate how they will present these skills to their students.
|8:00 – 8:15 am||Welcome and Registration|
|8:15 – 8:30 am||Introductions, Workshop Overview, Objectives and Outcomes|
|8:30 – 9:30 am||Exploring Online Teaching Experiences|
|Perspectives and Practice|
|9:30 – 10:30 am||Reducing Barriers to Online Academic Success|
|Teaching Personal Decisions & Preparing for Success|
|10:30 – 10:45 am||Break|
|10:45 – 11:45 am||Reducing Barriers to Online Academic Success|
|Teaching the Importance of Tech Awareness & SMART Goals|
|11:45 – 12:00 am||Final Thoughts, Wrap-Up & Questions|